My response to Ten Things Your Single Friends Are Tired Of Hearing
1. You’ll find it when you aren’t looking. Yes, I’ve said this a bazillion times. We are expected to work for what we want in terms of our careers but when it comes to love, we’re told to stop expecting it and it will magically happen. I call bullshit. If we want love, then we should work at it and much as, if not more than our careers. We can work at it, not by acting desperate, not going out every night and hooking up with anyone that looks our way, but by being active in the things that we are passionate about, being in a constant state on improving ourselves and learning to love people – starting with numero uno.
2. “You can’t be happy in a relationship unless you’re happy with yourself first.” I love me. I love who I am. In fact being in BAD relationships made me question my worthiness, not being single. I’m never going to be perfect so I love me flaws and all. I love me unconditionally.
3. “You’re still young, you got all the time in the world.” Kiss my ass. I wanted to get married practically since birth. I think that people are not made to travel through life on their own but in good company so you can grow old together and laugh at all the memories you have made. I’m 38 years old now. Never married. People still tell me I’m young. Again, kiss my ass. I don’t want to meet someone the day before I die. I want someone to go through life with so it’s actually better if I meet them when I am younger.
4. “You deserve someone who wants to give you everything.” No kidding.
5. “You’re looking in the wrong places.” Maybe when I was younger this was true. I’d hang out at bars and clubs frequently. I still know of people who met at bars and clubs and ended up in relationships. So not only am I not supposed to be looking but I am also looking in the wrong places? People met people in all kinds of places. To this day, I still have NOT met a guy at the grocery store, the gym, church or any of the other places that I’m told I will find a “nice” guy.
6. ”You should try online dating!” ROFLMFAO!! I’ve been online dating practically since online dating started. All the creepy people that you would meet at the bar are online too. There are an awful lot of people who are great behind the computer screen but are terrified to call, text or meet in person. Plus, people tend to be meaner and creepier online… just so you know.
7. “You’re too picky.” I’ve been told this since I can remember. I disagree. I know what I want. I know what I deserve. I’m willing to give my all to someone that deserves my love. I’ve often given my heart to men who did not deserve it and I ended up hurt.
8. “Oh hey, but also, never settle.” Contradicts “you’re too picky” don’t you think?
9. “You need to put yourself out there more.” Really now? I’m busy and I’m tired. I work a lot and have a very busy life. You know what I want to do at the end of the day? I want to go out to dinner, go to a movie or stay in and cuddle on the couch. I also like to go outdoors. I haven’t met anyone doing any of those things either.
10. “I’m Engaged!” Yay! I really am happy for you.
**Just so you know – I am happy being single. Yes, I would love to be in a relationship and I really, really don’t want your advise.